Monday 18 November 2013

Baking is boring.....

But there is nothing like fresh shortbread or chocolate brownies, which we have all had the pleasure of eating today, thanks to our daughter Bea. She really enjoyed baking though like me, gets the real pleasure from seeing people enjoy her creations!
I am a bit out of inspiration (and energy) so after a busy weekend of cooking seafood, pasta, Huge roast, bbq chicken baguettes, Salmon.... that after knocking up a sausage casserole for the man and me tonight, I don't actually fancy it. I still want sausages though. I was going to cook some fancy exotic mushrooms (I adore mushrooms) in the rest of the Garlic and Thyme butter I made for the roast chicken yesterday, but have decided that the mushrooms along with some tasty sausages and gorgeous crispy bacon would make an utterly delectable if unconventional Monday night lazy feast. Obviously I will load with chips for good measure, as comfort grub could not be without potatoes! The kids will be having the casserole tomorrow.

So this all sounds totally full of calories. Maybe it is. We eat such a varied diet though, and none of my children or my husband have weight issues (I could do without 3 stone but it does not have an effect on my health and never my fitness, ask Dave :) ).
I have always adored food, the stories of food intrigue me, the social yumminess, we all have to eat. Our childhood memories of food, smells from the kitchen. My Grandmothers gorgeous roast potatoes! Everything my mother ever cooked seemed to be brown. I have eaten in fabulous restaurants in the West End but have had better meals in tiny country pubs, or even music steakhouses and bars. We're not rich, not anything like, we are constantly counting the pence. I just feel peace and an ounce or two of security that I know how to feed my family. Luckily I've developed some methods of creating good food for them, so they have never ever had to feel hunger. My children have an enthusiasm for food that I am proud of. My husband, a builder who had such a limited palate a few years ago (and a delicate one) now eats pretty much anything, even offal, curries, Real pasta, seafood. It's all in the cooking, educating, budgeting and shopping.

Am going to start our dinner, later more on the most important thing of all, the shopping! C xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment